In this episode, host Martin Rodriguez sits down with Stephen Bevans, the Louis J. Luzbetak, SVD Professor of Mission and Culture, Emeritus, at Catholic Theological Union. Bevans shares about his formative influences as a theologian of mission, his contributions to missiology, and his hopes for the future of the field.
Stephen Bevans is the Louis J. Luzbetak, SVD Professor of Mission and Culture, Emeritus, at Catholic Theological Union. He continues his work in the area of the theology of Christian mission and has recently completed an article in the missionary nature of the ecclesial mark of “catholicity” as part of an extended systematic reflection on a missionary ecclesiology. His current work includes research into Pope Francis’s thinking on inculturation and on his signature phrase “the culture of encounter.”
Steve is a commissioner on the World Council of Churches’ Commission on World Mission and Evangelism, a member of the Society of the Divine Word’s Arnold Janssen Spirituality Team, and a member of his SVD Chicago Province’s Provincial Council. He serves also as the faculty advisor for CTU’s program of “Catholics on Call.” He is an editor of the Brill series “Theology of Mission in Global Christianity” and on the editorial board of the International Review of Mission.
- David J. Bosch. Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission. American Society of Missiology Series. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1991.
- Charles H. Kraft, Christianity in Culture: A Study in Dynamic Biblical Theologizing in Cross-Cultural Perspective. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1979.
- Stephen B. Bevans, Models of Contextual Theology. Faith and Cultures. Rev. and exp. ed. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2002.
- Stephen B. Bevans and Roger P. Schroeder. Constants in Context: A Theology of Mission for Today. American Society of Missiology Series. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2004.
- Wilbert R. Shenk. Changing Frontiers of Mission. American Society of Missiology Series. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1999.
- Wilbert R. Shenk, ed. Enlarging the Story: Perspectives on Writing World Christian History. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2011.
- Vincent J. Donovan. Christianity Rediscovered. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1978.
- Stephen B. Bevans and Roger P. Schroeder. Prophetic Dialogue: Reflections on Christian Mission Today. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2011.
- Al Tizon. Whole and Reconciled: Gospel, Church, and Mission in a Fractured World. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2018.
- Cathy Ross and Jonny Baker. Imagining Mission With John V. Taylor. London: SCM Press, 2020.
Hosted by Martin Rodriguez
Produced by Greg McKinzie